I stole this idea from Denise over at Laughing with spoons Its simply 10 things I believe in. Forgive me Denise if I steal a few of your choices... I think many of us believe in the same things.
1. I believe in love. Love for family, friends, spouses, children, animals. I believe in being proud of who we are and where we come from. Farmer's daughter, proud Italian by nationality, slightly dysfunctional by birth! LOL I believe that love helps us to look beyond the petty annoyances our family and friends cause us everyday and accept them and cherish them for who they are, not who we want them to be. Love makes the world go round baby!
2. I believe in my marriage, my husband. I could say we got through some rough times, dealt with the good and the bad and worked hard at our marriage... but really the truth is, we don't have to work as hard as I see others working. The rough times did not seem as bad because we had each other to lean on. Yes, we get annoyed with each other, and yes, I yell, he pouts and we both think the other is at fault. But I think we married well, I think we just suit each other, compliment each other so well, that it isn't much of a struggle for us. Maybe in years to come that will change, I don't know... The main struggles we have gone through are from outside influences. Lost jobs, unexpected pregnancy, and a foreclosure that turned our world upside down. But through it all we stayed strong. We never tried to blame the other. We communicated and we got through it all stronger than ever.
3. I believe that kindness and manners are still an important part of life. I also believe that fewer people are practicing these rather modest virtues. People no longer hold the door for you, and if you hold it for them, they do not acknowledge you. Kindness... being kind and caring is not being wimpy or weak. I would rather be kind and hurt than be unkind and unaffected. Karma will get those unkind people who like to hurt others... that is something I remember when I feel like raging at all the rude and mean people in this world.
4. I believe that the love of a mother for her children is the most pure love the world will ever know. When I thought I lost my son Jack... my world stopped, my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest and I was literally breathless from the anguish. My relief in him being OK was overwhelming and humbling. I will never believe my own mom didn't love me, despite all the mistakes she has made. How could she possibly feel any different from me?
5. I believe global warming is not only real, but I believe it is getting worse and is a major cause for concern. Even if it is not real, or it is not as dire as many respected scientists believe... what harm could possibly come from reducing greenhouse gases and driving more fuel efficient cars and trucks? None.
6. I believe that my kids are simply the cutest kids in the universe... no one could make me believe otherwise... even if I am wrong, don't try to tell me otherwise... LOL
7. I believe what goes around comes around... so to all those meanies out there who crush people on their way up to wherever they feel is important. Remember that when you are on your way down. You brought it on yourself.
8. I believe that I am worthy... I believe in myself and my inner and outer beauty. I don't look in the mirror and say "Oh, I am fat, therefore I am worthless and ugly" no, I see the good things about me and I focus on those... my big brown eyes and long eyelashes, my nice lips and my chunky but proportioned body. I also believe I have something to say, something important... even if its different that what anyone else has to say...that's what makes me unique and not cookie cutter. I will never conform to the majority nor will I change to fit in... that's not me. I also believe I look kinda hot in broken Harry Potter glasses!
9. Speaking of Harry Potter... I believe in the hype. The hype is true. The books are awesome and have made thousands of children start to read again...reading is once again cool! Thank you JKR! Who could deny she is a wonderful and brilliant (yet unique) author!
A few HP quotes:
Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~Steven Kloves (screenplay), Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, 2004, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore
If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. ~J.K. Rowling, "Padfoot Returns," Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 2000, spoken by the character Sirius Black
It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well. ~J.K. Rowling, "King's Cross," Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, 2007, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore
10. I believe that only myself and my few loyal readers will attempt to read this... Yet I hope that it touches someone, somewhere and helps someone to understand me better... helps someone to see themselves in this and either learn from it, or take something away from it to better themselves and their lives. I hope it clears up misconceptions people may have about me and try to realize that although we may be different on many levels, there are still some levels that we are the same. That is something worth pondering and building on. If this happens then my modest blog will have accomplished something worthy.