Thursday, November 6, 2008

Welcome to a new era in America!

Senator Barack Obama is our new President! Can I say how happy and pleased I am to be here for this historic day. Not dead in my grave with worms for company... not infirm in a hospital with my mind on my childhood memories. Because I want to remember this era, I want to remember the day a man I voted for became President. A man whom many thought would never be able to represent America.

I want to remember the words he spoke, the promises he made and hold him to them. I want to be surprised when he achieves as many of his promises as he is able. And I want to be not so surprised when he continues to do it again and again. Because I want the hope, the elation and that proud feeling I felt not to be in vain. I hope it wont be in vain, I believe it will not be in vain.

Yes, there are nay sayers and people out there who would belittle this important and historic time in America's history. I know how hard it it to be on the losers side. Ive been there for eight years now, I got used to it. I didn't like it, but I did. And I did my best to hope for the best from President Bush and take the good things he did and try to look on the bright side. I did not agree with much of what he did, but I respected the fact that he tried to do what he thought was best. I think huge mistakes were made, but that's another post and one I do not care to get into. Because this post is about hope and joy and jubilation. I will not sully it with negativity.

When Obama said these words:

"Let us resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long. Let us remember that it was a man from this state who first carried the banner of the Republican Party to the White House - a party founded on the values of self-reliance, individual liberty, and national unity. Those are values we all share, and while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress. As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, "We are not enemies, but friends...though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection." And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn - I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too."

When he said those words I believed him, believed in him. If anyone can do this, he can. Or in his words "Yes, we can"

Please people of all political affiliations, give him a chance. Give us a chance. Give us, more than half your country a chance, give us the benefit of the doubt... try to understand our need for change, our feelings of hope. I know we might be different, but we are all the same really, we want what is best for our family, our country and ourselves. That is what America is all about. Different people coming together as one.

As John Dickinson said "Then join hand in hand, brave Americans all! By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall!"

9 comments:

Jess NBP said...

Great post Mimi!

Sandra said...

Brava Bellisima!!! Brava!

Kristina P. said...

I am excited for this new Presidency.

Agata said...

Awesome post, Mimi! I wholeheartedly agree (as usual)

Andrea said...

Hope is an excellent feeling to inspire in someone. I HOPE his actions once in office will keep those feelings alive!

FreeStyleMama - Diana said...

Well posted! Check out my reflections on my personal blog:
dianas-daily-ramblings.blogspot.com

Diana

Anonymous said...

Great post! Amen! I totally agree. I am loving Obama...I totally respect him and its hard to say that about a politician. I cannot wait to see what all he can acheieve. I believe!!!

Unknown said...

You've been tagged and awarded The Rock Star Award!
Jolly Mom

Kelly said...

Well said!