Thursday, October 30, 2008

Obama's infomercial... Did you watch it?

I got the idea for this blog post from
That girl blogs I usually do not post political posts, just because some of my friends and family have very different views, stances and affiliations. I know that there will be people who might have watched it with very different eyes. But regardless of your party of choice, to me there is no denying that Obama (I think McCain too) is sincere. He is sincere in his desire to give us Americans a better way of life, better education, health care and security. You may not agree with his ideas, but to say he is not honestly striving to change the wrongs he feels can be righted I think is just spiteful and wishful thinking. It goes both ways.

But I have to say that I was moved. Moved many times to tears. I saw stories of people, people like me, people that could be speaking my words, living my life and it was at once, reassuring and a bit scary. I don't want people to be like me. To struggle like me, to have to decide not to buy the good meat in order to make ends meet. To grow my own tomatoes not just for the taste factor, but to save a few bucks. I hate being poor, I want a change. I think he has the vision and moxie to attempt it and maybe even achieve it. Ive never felt this way about a candidate before. I am excited to be able to vote in this election.

When Barack Obama said these words:
“I will not be a perfect President, but I can promise you this… I will listen to you when we disagree… and I will open the doors of government, and ask you to be involved again.”
I felt light, I felt hope, I felt inspired to be involved in the issues that my country faces. I want to be a vehicle for change, not a nay sayer, not a cynic, not a bystander. I think if Barack Obama can inspire that feeling in any of us....even if its to oppose what you think are bad ideas that he has for our country... I think that is an admirable achievement.

All I ask is this, if the Democrats win....My fellow Democrats... be involved, be pro-active, hold Obama responsible for his words... remember the feeling of victory and the hope you felt. Carry it with you and make this country better, stronger and help it prosper. If the Republicans win this... give them a chance. Let them try to do the same for us. Because we all care about our great country...we just have different ideas on what is the right thing to do. It doesn't make us right or wrong... just different.

10 comments:

allison said...

i agree, it was very moving. i hope whoever gets into office keeps the sincerity alive and turns this country around.

Sandra said...

I love that when he wins he will make history.

This country is on a downward spiral, and more of the same can't win. Obama has to win. he just HAS to.

Garden State Kate said...

I came over from Saundra's blog, and I agree that he was very sincere. I think he is the first politician to come along in a long time that inspires. Truly inspires the people in a positive way, not just to be angry at the "other guy".

I fear how this country will end up
if he's not elected..it's a very scary time.

Simply AnonyMom said...

I did not see it. I was at work. I have heard it was awesome and awe inspiring.

I think your post is very well written. I feel the same as you have vocalized. THank you for the post.

James Hofheins said...

What an awesome post. It's hard to stay politically neutral when friends and family see things so differently - your honesty is admirable.

James H
http://serviceafol.blogspot.com/

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

I didn't watch because I didn't feel like I needed to. I already knew that I'd be voting for Obama, so it didn't matter.

After reading your wonderful review, I wish I had tuned in, even if for just a little while.

Andrea said...

That is what scares me about this election...they play on our emotions and things that hit us right where it counts. I believe he believes he can change things, but I also believe he is a bit green and does not understand how darn near impossible it will be to change some of the things that are wrong with our nation and government. However, it is nice to hear someone be brave enough to try.

sheila said...

I watched.
I cried.
I think he's going to have a huge task ahead, fixing the past 8 years of that idiot W.

But being the first black man as President will be such a huge thing that he will probably be our best president yet.

polkadot said...

Thanks for the linky love!

Malcolm said...

The Fox News Channel needs to read this post to know what "fair and balanced" really means. Since I had already made up my mind that I was voting for Obama, I didn't catch most of his infomercial. However, I found the parts that I did see moving and powerful.

By the way, I found your blog via the comments you left at Canubeapartofmylife. I liked when you said that people should visit factcheck.org instead of taking propaganda from either side at face value.